27 September 2009

Worry-free Cardi = Done

The top-down set in sleeve sweater I started when my daughter was spending time at the doctor’s (and I was waiting in waiting rooms) has been done sometime. I dubbed it the “Worry-free” cardi because knitting it kept my mind off the terrible stress of waiting to find out if Aden had cancer, waiting to find out if the skin graft on her nose took, and generally just waiting with a mother’s head full of worry. Aden is now cancer-free, and it truly was a worry-free cardi. This was an easy knit, and all knit in one piece from the top down using The Tailored Sweater method I’ve talked about.


Notes
Yarn: EcoWool, Cascade, 4 skeins
Needles: US 7 KnitPicks
Pattern: Garter Rib in body, stockinette on sleeve, 2x2 ribbing for collar
Collar needed short rows to fold over, then some increases in the front purl ribs to lay open. Body has short rows in front for bustline, and in upper back so the whole thing lays flat. The beauty of knitting in one piece top-down is that one can make little design decisions as you go along so your sweater works! I added width to make the body a slight A-line. Edges have integrated I-cord knit while making the garment. No seams were sewn in the making of this garment!
Final note: my dress display has narrower shoulders than I have, and although it does not fit her shoulders, it fits mine perfectly.

10 comments:

  1. That sweater is beautiful. I would love it if you would share how you did short row bust shaping in that stitch pattern. It seems like the shaping would really mess up the garter rib!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweater is gorgeous. I am so happy that your daughter is in the clear. I have been through that myself having skin cancer when I was 25 and then a big graft. I have been well for 15 years now which I am very happy about, but it is always at the back of your mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the comments all. Sue, glad to hear you are in the clear! Leslie, short-row shaping is very easy in a rib pattern, you just short row after the completion of a K2 rib. Garter rib is row 1: K2, P2, row 2: Purl. So just stop short of an edge and turn after completing a K2 on the right side. I generally do not do wrapped short rows, instead, I just turn (no wrap), then when it comes time to knit it all back into work, I make a tight stitch at the integration point. Seems to work for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's beautiful, Charisa and ofcourse I LOVE those Scandinavian style clasps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear she's cancer free! WOO HOO!
    Gorgeous sweater to boot. I love that knitting is still helping us through stressful times, just like Elizabeth Zimmermann used to say, "knit on, with confidence and hope, through all crises." I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the design of your blog, - and what you have knitted :).
    The problem with "Pinnsvin Design" is that they only sell patterns with yarn so the shipping will be an additional cost. So when I get some spare time I'll try to translate the pattern from Norwegian and send it to you. I've answered on Ravelry as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's so beautiful <3
    and so good to hear your daughter is cancer-free :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous sweater. Are the closures buttons? I've never seen them before and they're lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susie, although clasps are hard to find at your local sewing or yarn store, they are abundant on the Inter-web. Check this one out: http://www.twinrosesdesigns.com/Cloak%20Clasps%20for%20Sale.html#Very_Lightweight_Cloak_Clasps_and

    ReplyDelete

Your comments appreciated.

About Me

My photo
I'm Charisa on Ravelry.

Follow PULSH on Facebook

P U L S H © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO