16 August 2009

Extra-Ordinary Day!

For the past few years I've become acutely aware that were we put our energy is where our life is. Such an obvious statement, yes. But I forget this simple principle again and again.

Two years ago my friend Kristen introduced me to Betty Roberts Spinning wheels. They are beautiful handmade works of art and engineered as beautifully as the aesthetic they are created with. Betty Roberts makes accelerated wheels (rare). She is a treasure and lives in the state of Washington. In the past year I have joined both the Ravelry and the Yahoo Groups dedicated to Betty Roberts wheels, thinking that maybe someone would put one up for sale. There are so few of them in the world, I had become convinced that I would never own one.

Then, yesterday, I was at the Snohomish Library doing some knitting guild business and stuck my head in the library's conference room. A group was just leaving and as I looked closer - I realized that there were several Betty Roberts spinning wheels in the room. Let me cut to the chase and give you the goods.

I am now the proud owner of Betty's "Cotton Eater" wheel (meaning, many ratios, can spin very fast). And today, I not only purchased the wheel from Betty, but got to spend time with her getting to know her. Now, tell me my friend, is that not an example of "Ask. Believe. Receive."?


Betty Roberts - The Spinning Wheel Lady

Photo of Betty Roberts


Betty Roberts with the Cotton Eater (my wheel!)

Betty Roberts withthe Cotton Eater

Betty tells how to tie a new wheel band


Betty describes the inlay in the Cotton Eater:


And, then, like the hero she is, she opened her shirt and revealed her super powers!
Proverbs 31:13: "She seeketh wool and flax, And worketh willingly with her hands." (That she does!)

Betty Roberts the spinning wheel lady


Betty Roberts and many Betty Roberts Spinning Wheels

Betty Roberts and a few of her wheels

13 comments:

  1. This is incredible - I love Betty's wheels, and this is such a treat. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your new wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is just extraordinary! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! You're wheel is so beautiful. Each wheel is so unique. I really appreciate getting the opportunity to see & hear Betty Roberts. There seems to be so little information about her wheels & her listed on the web. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your wonderful spinning wheel, you truly do have a special wheel. I have been friends with Miss Betty Roberts for almost 30 years now and I have never seen anything more magical then her wheels. A true gift from God and Betty uses her gift well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your wheel. It's gorgeous and Betty is wonderful!

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty shared your posting with many of her friends. I enjoyed seeing recent photos, and seeing/hearing her on your short videos of her. Thank for the opportunity. I too have been a friend of Betty's for many years - over 30 I think, have owned three of her wheels, and still have two I use regularly. Since I now live in North Carolina, I no longer see her in person....
    Phoebe Crosby

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! What else could I say! Beautiful wheels, The Great Lady! Thank you for sharing this and congratulations on your new gorgeous wheel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chrisa, you're a lucky girl. And we're lucky to have all your pictures and videos of Betty and her wheels. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful adventure with us. Warm Regards, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, they're beautiful, Charisa. What a magical moment, meeting Betty Roberts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too have just purchased a BR wheel. It should be shipped the week of 27 June 2011. I can't tell you how blessed I feel to finally own a wheel of hers. Glad to find the info. too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You were blessed that day! I wish you would make your BR videos available again. It was magical to listen to her explain the little treasures in your wheel's inlay. I'm waiting for Betty to send me her Applewood Wheel and was hoping your video could help me identify what is in my wheel inlay. Anyway, thanks for sharing your experience with us. It's one of the reasons I'm a BR Fan! Happy Spinning, Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, The videos are still available and viewable in this blog entry. -- Charisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so excited to read all of this amazing stuff about Betty Roberts. I am an avid genealogist and have typed the name Betty Borst Roberts many times in the last few years. I recently found her and talked to her on the phone, as she is a first cousin to my late grandfather... the last surviving person in that generation of my family. When I talked with her on the phone, I learned about her “hobby”, so when I got off of the phone with her... I went straight to Google. She is an amazing lady and I’m so lucky to have found her and know she is in my family.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments appreciated.

About Me

My photo
I'm Charisa on Ravelry.

Follow PULSH on Facebook

P U L S H © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO