I figured out how to solve the problem of knitting two toe-up socks at a time, using two circulars. (Phew, that's a lot of the letter "t".)
1. Wind off your skein of yarn so you have it divided equally into two balls.
2. Stick them in a zip lock bag.
3. Zip it shut except for the corners on each side. Leave those un-zipped.
4. Knit to your heart's content.
5. Flip the bag as you go from front to back to keep strands always uncrossed.
Easy, peasy. Click this link to get the Lifestyle Toe Up socks guide. Then, get knitting.
Follow up: 9 August 2008
Finished these socks at the end of July. This method knits up really well - and I loved having a pair of socks at the end of the project. No second-sock-syndrome here.
When I got to the heel, I took one sock off the needles and put it one of the circular needles to hold it. I then knit the heel for each sock, and when I was ready to start knitting in the round again, I put them both back on the needles as illustrated above and finished up. This is the only way to do socks!
Yarn: Fortissima Colori Socka Color, 1 skein, 100 grams, abour $20 USD
Color: 11/Lot 420025
Needle: Size 1